If you are planning to work on any construction, it is vital to ensure you have the correct tools, and a plate compactor is one of the best tools you can obtain. It is excellent for the attainment of decent compression on gravel and soil, which is a task you need to undertake if you require something strong.
Whether you are preparing to compact hot mix asphalt, crushed aggregates, or various soil types, you cannot underestimate the task of choosing the right plate compactor.
Some features must be available in all quality compactors, and some compactors are best suited for particular tasks. This review of the Top 10 Best Plate Compactors in 2019 & Buyer’s Guide will help you find the best compactor that suits your needs.
Table of the Best Plate Compactors
1. WEN 56035 Construction Zone 4,496-Pound Capacity Plate Compactor, Vibratory Asphalt/Soil Plate
This WEN plate compactor model is the best regarding speed. It travels at up to 82 feet/minute and has a powerful 212 cc engine. The engine can produce 4,496lbs of force at 5400 blows per minute. The tool also features an angled chamber for combustion to increase the displacement power.
It is easily maneuverable despite its heavy weight due to its swing over the handle and a curved edge plate.
2. YARDMAX YC0850 1850 lb. Compaction Force Plate Compactor, 2.5 hp, 79cc, 5900 BPM
The YARDMAX YC0850 is a quality and premium compactor, made for both professional and residential purposes. It features an automatic 99cc engine that produces 5900 blows per minute with a 2.5 HP. Its plate has no weld to prevent breakage and to rust thus increasing its durability.
It is also easier to transport because it has got fold-up wheels attached. Its three-point handles are fitted with rubber bushings to absorb vibrations to protect your hands from getting blisters.
3. Dirty Hand Tools 104950 Vibratory Plate Compactor – 19.5″ x 12.6″ 79cc 1,843lbs Force
Another great choice for our list of best plate compactors is the Dirty Hand Tools 104950. Its plate is 19.5”×12.6” in size. The tool has an operating speed of 3600RPM. It also features fold-down wheels for ease of transportation and folding handlebars for convenience during storage. Its engine is EPA approved in 50 states, so you don’t have to worry about its quality.
4. 6 HP Gas Economic Plate Compactor Walk Behind Vibratory Dirt Soil Plate Compactor (6 HP Kohler Engine)
This power tool features a 17”× 21” base plate made from cast iron to ensure its strength. It delivers a powerful operation of 3,000lbs/square foot. The machine is driven by a six-horsepower Kohler engine which makes it ideal for both household and commercial projects.
It can maneuver in cramped and narrow spaces easily. With a high travel speed of up to 79ft/minute, you can be sure to accomplish your tasks quickly and efficiently.
5. Dirty Hand Tools 104001 Vibratory Plate Compactor – 21.26″ x 16.54″ 196cc 2,922lbs Force
This is a tough and highly durable plate compactor ideal for main construction operations. It features an adjustable thumb control throttle for ease of operation. It has a large plate size of 21”x 16”.
The tool includes folding handlebars to save on storage space and fold down wheels for easy transportation. Its handles are covered with a removable rubber mat to protect your hands against abrasion.
6. NorthStar Close-Quarters Plate Compactor -With 5.5 HP Honda GX160 Engine
NorthStar Close-Quarters is another exceptionally designed unit from a reputable brand. It produces 2,270lbs of compacting force. It has an impressive travel speed that ranges from 65ft to 82ft. Its compacting plate is slightly smaller than those of others in the list, but it is big enough to get any task done.
Additionally it offers 5700 vibrations per minute which are enough to make your surface strong and flat. Also, it features a 163cc Honda GX160 OHV engine with a cylinder covered with cast iron so that it can withstand anything.
7. Powerhorse Single-Direction Plate Compactor-With 7 HP Engine
This plate compactor has a compaction force of 3950lbs delivered at 5500VPM. It travels at a speed of 69ff/minute. The tool features a float type carburetor to enable it to operate uninterrupted. Also, it has a Centrifugal Flyweight-type controller to keep its speed consistent.
8. Multiquip MVC82VHW Honda GX160 Plate Compactor with Water Tank, 18″ Wide
The Multiquip MVC82VHW is a quality compactor with an outstanding design that makes it best for both professional and residential purposes. Its body and handle are made of steel; hence you do not have to worry about durability.
The tool is easy to operate. The handle and the engine have anti-vibration features that cut down abrasions from the plate. Its Honda GX160 engine puts 3080 pounds of force at 5600 vibrations per minute to provide the plate with compressing power and strength.
9. 5.5 HP Honda Engine Forward Plate Compactor Walk Behind Vibratory Dirt Asphalt Soil Plate Compactor
This tool compacts more than 3,400lbs per square feet. It features an upgraded 5.5HP Honda GX 160 engine that powers compaction of granular and cohesive soils up to 12”. It has a large water tank with a capacity of 3.5 gallons for asphalt compaction.
10. CORMAC C95T plate compactor gasoline & water tank
This model is an ideal choice for compaction of granular materials like gravel, sand, and soil. It has been designed with the capability of delivering 7,000 vibrations per minute. This means that with this compactor your compaction processes will be straightforward. It features a rubber-mounted adjustable handle to enable you to work effectively.
Factors to Consider when Choosing the Best Plate Compactor
Requirements of your Task
Checking requirements ensure that the plate compactor selected matches correctly to the specifications of your task. You should determine the depth of compaction and the type of soil, together with site conditions like accessibility to the area being compacted and size before choosing the best plate compactor.
Size and shape of the plate
The size and shape of the base plate determine its ability to maneuver in narrow areas. Averagely sized plates have a width of 15” to 25”. The shape of the plate should also be put into consideration since it affects compaction. Curved plates are the best.
Type of engine
The kind of engine is an important consideration. Mainly when working on big projects, the reliability of the engine is crucial. Higher vibrations per minute are good for asphalt and granular materials, while lower frequencies are suitable for cohesive soils.
Choosing the best compactor depends on the type of task you need to undertake as with most tools. Large and heavy jobs require potent compactors. You should not have any difficulty choosing the best compactor for your specific task as long as you know the type of materials you are working with. We hope this guide will help you find a perfect plate compactor that suits your needs.
- Table of the Best Plate Compactors
- 1. WEN 56035 Construction Zone 4,496-Pound Capacity Plate Compactor, Vibratory Asphalt/Soil Plate
- 2. YARDMAX YC0850 1850 lb. Compaction Force Plate Compactor, 2.5 hp, 79cc, 5900 BPM
- 3. Dirty Hand Tools 104950 Vibratory Plate Compactor – 19.5″ x 12.6″ 79cc 1,843lbs Force
- 4. 6 HP Gas Economic Plate Compactor Walk Behind Vibratory Dirt Soil Plate Compactor (6 HP Kohler Engine)
- 5. Dirty Hand Tools 104001 Vibratory Plate Compactor – 21.26″ x 16.54″ 196cc 2,922lbs Force
- 6. NorthStar Close-Quarters Plate Compactor -With 5.5 HP Honda GX160 Engine
- 7. Powerhorse Single-Direction Plate Compactor-With 7 HP Engine
- 8. Multiquip MVC82VHW Honda GX160 Plate Compactor with Water Tank, 18″ Wide
- 9. 5.5 HP Honda Engine Forward Plate Compactor Walk Behind Vibratory Dirt Asphalt Soil Plate Compactor
- 10. CORMAC C95T plate compactor gasoline & water tank
- Factors to Consider when Choosing the Best Plate Compactor