Accidents can happen anytime even when you take full precautions not to let it happen. That is why you have to be completely prepared to fight it out and survive in such a crisis. One of the common accidents that take place as the safety of a home is catching fire. There are various areas from where fire can originate such as cooking ovens, fireplace, smoking place and what not. Having a home fire extinguisher is a must if you value your and your family members’ lives. You can choose from the following list of top 10 best home fire extinguishers in 2020.
Table of the Best Home Fire Extinguisher:
1. Kidde Multi-Purpose Fire Extinguisher
This multipurpose fire extinguisher is perfect for fighting fires of Class ‘A’, ‘B’, and ‘C’. It can be used for many common fires and is very powerful. It is also quick and takes under 21 seconds to reach a distance of 20 feet. The fire extinguisher has an impact resistant steel body so that it can last for a long time. It operates with a pressure of 195 PSI. The cylinder is powder coated in order to protect from corrosion. In the label, there are instructions on how to use the fire extinguisher.
2. First Alert Rechargeable Fire Extinguisher
This product is manufactured in the United States and is made up of commercial grade metal. The pressure gauge is very convenient to read and there is a bracket with a strap which can be mounted easily. To deter any unwanted discharge, there is a metal pull pin. It is approved by the United States Coast Guard and weighs only 5 pounds. The handles are made up of plastic and can be used without any force. It is rechargeable and can last for a long time.
3. Kidde Pro Fire Extinguisher
With this fire extinguisher, you can fight the fire of Class ‘A’ to ‘C’. It is a commercial fire extinguisher and can be used in schools, office, industry, and hotels. It has got an easy pressure check and has got a wall hanger attached. It can also fight dry chemical and is rechargeable. The product comes with a limited warranty of 6 years. The cylinder is made of lightweight aluminum and is very strong. It weighs only 4 pounds and the discharge tie is 13 to 15 seconds.
4. Amerex B402 Fire Extinguisher
In this fire extinguisher, the cylinder is made up of steel. It is suitable for many types of fire including dry chemical. It has got a wall bracket and includes an aluminum valve. The fire extinguisher has got a metal valve construction and the discharge time is 14 seconds. It can be used in many places to avoid any disaster and it weighs 9.5 pounds. It is rechargeable and the maximum ranger of the fire extinguisher is 18 feet.
5. First Alert Workshop Fire Extinguisher
This is made up of strong metal and is rechargeable. It is a Class 10 fire extinguisher and is very effective for liquid fires. The body is very durable and is ideal for use in garages. It can also put off live electrical fires. It has color coated gauge making it convenient for you to read. To hold it securely, there is also a strap and bracket. It is both chemical and water resistant. It comes with a metal pull pin in order to avoid any unwanted discharge.
6. First Alert Fire Extinguisher
This fire extinguisher is very suitable for your home and you can safely use it during the time of emergency. You can also use it for boat and auto. It can fight the fires caused by kerosene, electrical fire, grease, oil, and gasoline. The gauge is very easy to read and comes with a bracket. It is very lightweight at only 2lbs and has a limited warranty of 5 years. This contains non-toxic monoammonium and complies with the DOT standards.
7. First Alert FIAFESA5 – Fire Extinguisher
In this fire extinguisher, the pressure gauge is very easy to read. The mounting is also very easy and has a bracket to place it in a place of easy reach. It is very effective against live electrical equipment fires and can also control liquid fires. It comes with an added stability to avoid any vehicular damage. It weighs 2.75 pounds and can easily be carried. This is effective on many kinds of fires including gasoline and kerosene and has a warranty of five years.
8. Fire Command Fire Extinguishing
This fire extinguisher is very fast in acting and is ideal for your kitchen. It has got a non-corrosive body and is based on a biodegradable formula. It is very convenient to use and is also very compact. You can easily carry it in camping or in the boat and can also be used in office or garage. The fire extinguisher releases firefighting foam which is very quick to cover and fire. The item weighs only 1.2 pounds with superior performance.
9. First Alert Rechargeable Plus Fire Extinguisher
This fire extinguisher is rechargeable and releases Monoammonium Phosphate. It is made up of commercial grade metal which can last for a long time. The pressure gauge can be read very easily and is effective in different kinds of fires including live electrical equipment fire and inflammable liquid fire. It is designed to use in a convenient way. The label is waterproof and chemical resistant. The fire extinguisher also has an included bracket and strap for securing it safely.
10. Amerex B500 Fire Extinguisher
This product can secure many types of fire including dry chemical as well as Class ‘A’, ‘B’, and ‘C’ fires. Whether live electrical equipment or inflammable liquid, it can extinguish all kinds of fire. The discharge time of the fire extinguisher is 14 seconds and it comes with a wall bracket. It includes a metal valve body which is made up of aluminum. It will also last for a long time and you can easily carry it. It weighs 10 pounds.
Buyer’s Guide – Things To Keep In Mind
You have to understand the different types of home fire extinguishers available so that you can make a smart purchase. Furthermore, there are various parameters to keep in mind so that you can buy the best fire extinguisher from the above-mentioned list.
Types of Fire Extinguishers –
- Class A – Class A fire extinguishers are meant to put the fire off when it originates from solid combustible items such as woods, papers, clothes, rubber, and plastics.
- Class B – Class B fire extinguishers are meant to put the fire off when it originates from flammable liquids like oil, paints, gasoline and likewise.
- Class C – Class C fire extinguishers are meant to put the fire off when it originates from electrical equipment like wiring, short-circuiting, appliances and likewise.
- Class K – Class K fire extinguishers are meant to put the fire off when it originates from cooking oils, fats of animals, greases etc.
Some of the fire extinguishers cater to only one or two of such classes while there are fire extinguishers that cater to all. Depending on the type of fire that can catch in your home, you should make the purchase but it is always recommended to buy all-in-one class type fire extinguishers to be on the safer side.
Which Material Cater To Which Type –
There are various types of materials used in the fire extinguishers to fight fire originating from different types. Some materials are good for Class A, B, C, or K while others cater to multiple Classes at once.
- Foam Extinguishers – It is one of the most used home fire extinguishers and it is highly effective as Class A and Class B extinguisher. They can be used for Class C as well during an emergency when a dedicated Class C extinguisher is not available.
- Air-Pressured Water Extinguishers – These extinguishers are less expensive and they are good only as Class A extinguishers. You should not use them by any chance if the source of fire belongs to Class B or C.
- Carbon Dioxide Extinguishers – This is a very common type of extinguishers and it is suitable as Class B and Class C extinguishers but it is ineffective as Class A extinguisher. They are the bestsellers in the market and the price is comparatively low.
- Dry Chemical Extinguishers – These are the most versatile extinguishers and they can be used in most of the Classes mentioned above. But they are sold in the market with labels like Class ABC, Class BC, Class K and likewise to make the buyer understand their applicability. Make sure you read the label and the specifications to be clear about it compatibility.
You can buy any of the above-mentioned top 10 best home fire extinguishers in 2020 but make sure that you understand the type of fire extinguishers available and their applications so that you can buy the right fire extinguishers that can save your life during an emergency.
- Table of the Best Home Fire Extinguisher:
- 1. Kidde Multi-Purpose Fire Extinguisher
- 2. First Alert Rechargeable Fire Extinguisher
- 3. Kidde Pro Fire Extinguisher
- 4. Amerex B402 Fire Extinguisher
- 5. First Alert Workshop Fire Extinguisher
- 6. First Alert Fire Extinguisher
- 7. First Alert FIAFESA5 – Fire Extinguisher
- 8. Fire Command Fire Extinguishing
- 9. First Alert Rechargeable Plus Fire Extinguisher
- 10. Amerex B500 Fire Extinguisher
- Buyer’s Guide – Things To Keep In Mind